I’ve talked before about how much I love cooking for the gaming table. Not only is sharing a meal a great bonding experience for your group, but if you’re concerned about over-snacking at the table, eating a meal before you play is an excellent way to counter that.
Beyond that, the meal you cook can help immerse the players in your setting. Back when I played Pathfinder a great deal, I would sometimes cook a meal appropriate to the cultural area in Golarion where our adventures were taking place. You won’t always find a one-to-one correlation, but you can usually find foods which are evocative of your gaming world.
Below is a recipe I put together to give my players a taste of North Africa, as that best fit the fantasy culture their characters were navigating. Ingredient-wise it’s a little adventurous, especially if your players are firmly pizza and burgers folk. But there is nothing too strange, and if the idea of eating prunes with savory dishes is off-putting you can remove them from the dish without harm. Unless there is an issue with allergies, however, I’d recommend just cooking it as is and let them experience the full taste. It uses my favourite cooking device, the slow cooker, which allows you to set it up well ahead of time and have it ready for your game.
If you have any questions about the recipe, please drop me a line. And comment below with your gaming recipes, or how this recipe turned out for you.
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN & OLIVE TAGINE
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
Chicken, prunes, olives, carrots, onions, garlic and ginger are slow-cooked with Moroccan spices to create a flavorful and fragrant dish that you’ll want to make again and again.
- 2 pounds (8) boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup dried prunes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the chicken, carrots, onion, prunes, olives, garlic, flour, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, sprinkle with and cilantro or nuts (optional) and serve with lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 Servings, Serving Size: 2 thighs with sauce and vegetables
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 399 calories – Total Fat: 13g – Cholesterol: 216mg – Sodium: 843mg – Carbohydrates: 24g – Fiber: 5g – Sugar: 10g – Protein: 46g