It’s hard to playtest games while staying at home and abiding by the Six Foot Rule. So I decided that this would be the perfect time to try something that I’ve been thinking about for a while: tabletop game mods. Going back through my reviews, there were a lot of cases of “this game would be perfect if it wasn’t for this one minor thing”. So, what would happen if those minor issues could be fixed?
I decided to start with something simple. When my friends and I were playing Pigment, we were really surprised that a game that revolves around the concept of colour and art would have as its meeple choices Black, Grey and White. Not only were the “apprentices” the least colourful part of an otherwise beautiful game, but we also had practical problems too. We would often end up accidentally grabbing each other’s meeples, because they all looked so similar.
Enter self-isolation boredom and a drawer full of nail polish. Since the pigment cubes were all in primary colours (red, blue and yellow), I knew that I wanted my new apprentices to all be in secondary colours (purple, green and orange). However, I’m not much of a “Halloween nail art” type of person, so I didn’t have any orange nail polish. Yes, I know, I could have gotten real paint; but this is a quarantine project, so I am working with what I have around the house. I replaced orange with gold and got started.
I will be further annoying our Paint Slinger with the fact that I made no attempt at all to replicate the original clothing pattern on the meeples. Maybe in the future, my customization will be more ambitious. For now, I decided to stick with the KISS mantra. My colour choices were a bit more Easter Pastel than Renaissance Oil, but I am really happy with the results. I will admit though, that the process was rather messy, especially since acrylic nail polish takes a while to dry and I had to do multiple coats for full coverage. My biggest mistake was not paying attention to which meeple set I did first, which resulted in me trying to cover up black with gold. I wanted to paint the bases black, but again, I couldn’t find any, so royal blue would have to do. Which, in my humble opinion, actually looks better.
I can’t wait for things to get back to normal so that my friends and I can play the new and improved Pigment. In the meantime, I’ll be thinking up my next Game Mod to try.
Stay safe everyone, and stay healthy!